The Education Committee will assist the Partnership in developing and maintaining strong and productive relationships with the elected members of the New Kent County School Board, other County Officials, and local government leaders for the purpose of providing substantive information on the wide variety of educational issues facing New Kent County (NKC) during the current period of accelerated population growth.
The Education Committee (henceforth Committee) of the Partnership for New Kent, LLC (henceforth Partnership) will assist the Partnership in developing and maintaining strong and productive relationships with the elected members of the New Kent County School Board, other County Officials, and local government leaders for the purpose of providing substantive information on the wide variety of educational issues facing New Kent County (NKC) during the current period of accelerated population growth.
The Committee, representing the Partnership, understands the critical importance of ensuring that the citizens of the NKC are apprised of emergent and recurring issues facing the School Division as the student population continues to grow stressing School Division resources, infrastructure, and educational policies and opportunities. The Committee will strive to promote and ensure that rigorous public discourse, communication, collaboration, and transparency exist between the School Board and the citizens of NKC ensuring that the desires of the citizenry are appropriately heard and considered by the School Board. Overall, the three foundational anchors of the Committee are to advance educational awareness and related School Division issues of interest to NKC citizens; Secondly, to promote and monitor communication efforts between the School Board and the NKC Board of Supervisors and between the School Board and NKC citizens; and thirdly to communicate committee activities to NKC citizens via multiple media sources emphasizing a culture of cooperation and team building with the School Board.
The Committee reports to the Executive Committee (EXCOMM) of the Partnership. The Chair of the Committee will serve as a member of the EXCOMM. The Chair of the Partnership chairs the EXCOMM. The Committee will consist of at least four (4) members including the Chair. The Chair of the Committee will reside in NKC or pay taxes in NKC if the County is not their home of record. The Chair of the Committee will serve a one-year term and will either be newly appointed or reappointed by the Chair of the Partnership annually. Any member of the Committee may be removed for lack of meeting attendance or participation after consultation with the EXCOMM.
Meetings and Structure
The Committee will meet at such times as are deemed appropriate by the Committee Chair. The Chair and any two (2) members constitute a quorum. The Chair will be responsible for preparing meeting agendas, presiding over meetings, maintaining meeting minutes, and coordinating deliverables from and reports to the EXCOMM. If the Chair is not available, any Committee member may perform the duties and responsibilities of the Chair. Committee members will assist in attending and documenting scheduled School Board meetings and work sessions.
Authority and Responsibilities
The Committee will act on behalf of its members and as the liaison between the School Board, other county leaders as appropriate, the EXCOMM, and the Partnership. The Committee is responsible for the following:
● Establishing open channels of communication with elected members of the School Board, other local County Officials when required, and State or Federal officials if necessary.
● Performing research, conducting interviews, reviewing School Division documents, and evaluating internet material germane to State and local educational policies, School Division resource allocation and infrastructure requirements, and other issues and challenges of interest to the citizens of NKC.
● Track, review, and analyze the annual School Division budget.
● Promoting vigorous public interaction and communication between the School Board and the County’s Board of Supervisors.
● Promoting public discourse, transparency, and communication between the School Board and County citizens.
● Working collaboratively to advance and maximize citizen knowledge of educational issues and challenges caused by rapid county growth.
● Advocating for responsible resource allocation to maximize student educational opportunities in the face of competing County priorities.
● Assisting the School Board by helping them to keep parents, students, and all interested County citizens informed of policy changes and other key issues like new school construction, budgets, school calendars, and redistricting.
● Annually, conduct a Committee self-assessment to review the adequacy of the Charter and evaluate the Committee’s performance relative to its stated roles and responsibilities.
● Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested or specified by the EXCOMM and Partnership.
Authority to Retain Experts
The Committee will have the authority to retain, replace, or dismiss as necessary or appropriate independent advisors to assist it in fulfilling its roles and responsibilities. The Partnership will provide the necessary funding as determined by the Committee and approved by the EXCOMM for compensation to advisors employed by the Committee.
Minutes of Meetings
- Posts not found