Annually, the Financial Oversight Committee will provide an independent review of the County’s budget for the upcoming fiscal year, ensuring that the budget is aligned with the Strategic Plan and the County’s means.
The Financial Oversight Committee (the “Committee”) of the “Partnership” for New Kent, LLC shall assist the Partnership; First, in synthesizing and building upon the information, analysis, benchmark data and areas for continued research which are detailed in the Good Government Ventures, LLC phase II financial oversight report. Second, the Committee responsibilities will include continued research and discovery of additional New Kent County documents to thoroughly understand the current financial management practices within the county. Third, to identify areas of improvement that will strengthen the economic infrastructure that supports future growth and viability of the New Kent businesses and its residential community. And ultimately, to provide citizen oversight of the financial activities of the New Kent County Board of Supervisors and its subdivisions.
The Financial Oversight Committee will report to the Executive Committee (EXCOMM) of the Partnership. The Chair of the Financial Oversight Committee will serve as a member of the EXCOMM. The Chair of the Partnership chairs the EXCOMM.
The Committee will consist of at least three members, a majority of whom, including the Committee Chair, must be a resident of New Kent County. The Chair of the Committee will be responsible for recruiting members, preparing the agenda, presiding over meetings, working with the financial governance consultants, and reporting to the EXCOMM. In the absence of the Chair of the Committee, the responsibilities of the Chair may be performed by another designated member of the Committee.
Meetings and Structure
The Committee will meet at such times as deemed appropriate by the Chair of the Committee and any two members of the Committee. The Chair will be responsible for sending out meeting notices; preparing the agenda, and when appropriate in consultation with active finance consultants; presiding over meetings; and, coordination of reporting to the EXCOMM. In the absence of the Committee Chair, the responsibilities of the Chair may be performed by another member of the Committee. Additionally, in the interest of inclusion, when needed the meetings can be attended long distance via conference call services.
Authority and Responsibilities
● Review and critique the County’s financial, risk management and accountability policies and procedures, including but not limited to; completion of “Statement of Economic Interests” by elected officials, record retention protocols as outlined under the Code of Virginia 42.1-85 and detailed on “lva.virginia.gov”, whistle blower protective policies, code of ethical behavior policies and budgetary transparency and citizen input protocols during annual budget development processes.
● Analyze the County’s economic growth rate assumptions which serve as a basis for the debt repayment schedules and numerous other financial//budgetary assumptions.
● Monitor and provide independent review of the budget formation/adoption process, interim and year-end financial reporting, and compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP is generally accepted accounting principles for governmental agencies).
● Request and review quarterly Statements of Activities, Fund Balances, Statement of Net Position documents for New Kent County.
● Provide feedback, via education and examples, of county best practices that include community inclusion into the budget development process. Encourage public hearings in each district and alteration of the proposed budget priorities based on citizen input.
● Review the annual county CAFR to determine activities performed by outside auditors to ensure independence, quality and relevance of their documented work.
● Work with Board of Supervisors to gain an unqualified opinion from auditors with “no findings”.
● Work to ensure the Board of Supervisors fiduciary responsibilities are upheld by county employees. Monitor activities that support the Board’s abilities to control misuse of New Kent’s resources, examples include but are not limited to; limiting the number of county credit cards, ensuring two signatures for checks over $10,000, investing the counties excess cash in only highly rated AAA or AA securities, limiting out of town meetings by leadership.
● Analyze the annual CAFR report to determine areas of improvement, as measured by Virginia and nationwide best practices. Work with the Board of Supervisors and their delegates to address gaps in New Kent procedures compared to best practices.
● Support Partnership for New Kent Governance Committee Chair, if requested, to ensure existing New Kent governance, ethics and transparency policy and procedures are being upheld by county officials and their employees.
● Assist Partnership for New Kent Land Use Committee Chair, as requested, in ensuring complete economic impact assessments and/or business plans (County Code Zoning Ordinance Part II, Chapter 91, Article VI, Section 91-118) are submitted and analyzed prior to New Kent County Planning Commission consideration.
Minutes of Meetings
- Posts not found