The Governance Committee serves as PNK’s face to County government, elected, appointed and employed. Its principal role is promoting citizen engagement in concert with the operations of County government.
The Governance Committee (Committee) of the Partnership for New Kent, LLC (Partnership) will assist the Partnership in developing and maintaining strong relationships with elected and appointed County Officials, as well as partner with for-profit and not-for-profit organizations, for the advancement and strengthening of New Kent County during this period of unprecedented growth.
The Governance Committee reports to the Executive Committee “EXCOMM” of the Partnership. The Chair of the Governance committee will serve as a member of the EXCOMM. The Chair of the Partnership will chair the EXCOMM.
The Committee will consist of at least four members, all of whom, including the Committee Chair, must be residents of New Kent County. The Chair of the Partnership will appoint one member to be the Chair of the Governance Committee.
Meetings and Structure
The Committee will meet at such times as are deemed appropriate by the Committee Chair. The Chair and any two members constitute a quorum of the Committee. The Chair will be responsible for preparing the agenda, presiding over the meeting and coordination of reporting to the EXCOMM. In the absence of the Chair of the Committee, any other member of the committee may perform the responsibilities of the Chair. The Governance Committee members will assist in coverage of county meetings, along with all other members.
The Governance Committee may appoint “Specialty Teams”, as sub-committees of the governance team. These teams will become subject matter experts and leaders to ensure transparent, collaborative, inclusive governance in and between New Kent County Board of Supervisors, the School Board, the Planning Commission and the Economic Development Authority, as examples.
Authority and Responsibilities
The Committee will act on behalf of its members, the EXCOMM and the Partnership.
Responsibilities will include:
● Establish open channels of communication with elected, appointed and administrative county officials and at times, State and Federal elected officials. The committee will focus on discussing and delivering the goals and objectives defined in the Partnership’s Strategic Plan and other county issues that may arise.
- The Governance chair will assume the primary liaison and communication responsibilities with the Board of Supervisors chair on behalf of the Partnership.
● Review with Partnership members and volunteers, EXCOMM and outside interested parties the county’s key issues and challenges, public/political sentiment, stances of the county officials and how these issues correspond with the Partnerships policy and strategic positions.
● Work collaboratively with the Citizen Outreach Committee to ensure a Partnership member attends all Board of Supervisors, School Board, Planning Commission monthly and Work Session meetings. The representative will complete the Partnership Meeting Documentation Form, submit for Partnership records and use in informing the community of governance issues and actions.
● Create an Issue and Voting Record Database to document and profile each elected officials’ stance on county issues and their respective voting record.
● At least annually, the Committee will assess its own performance and once a year update the Committee Charter to be current with relevant government activities. The Committee will report the results of the review to the Chair of the EXCOMM
● The Committee will perform other duties and responsibilities as specified by the Partnership and the EXCOMM.
Additional Responsibilities Regarding Elections:
● Work with Chair of the Citizen Outreach Committee to create a public awareness campaign introducing the New Kent citizens to county electoral position and the opportunities for individuals to run for these leadership positions.
● Draft a candidate questionnaire to use in interviews with all incumbent and new candidates. After input from EXCOMM members, finalize the document and schedule time with each candidate.
● Form an interview team and a process for documenting candidate responses.
● Conduct interviews with all incumbent and new candidates willing to participate in the interview process.
● Identify the candidates to be considered for endorsement by the Partnership. Recommendations will take into consideration a candidates’ vision for planned county growth, use of resources to establish needed infrastructure, process to engage citizens and whose principles generally support the Partnerships’ Strategic Goals and Objectives. In addition, the endorsed candidates will demonstrate professionalism, understanding of demeanor needed to be a public official and show steadiness under pressure.
● Distribute to all endorsed candidates, a Campaign Project Plan and timelines, educational opportunities, prospective campaign managers and other needed resources for a successful campaign.
● Organize and facilitate “Meet and Greet” public sessions to introduce candidates to New Kent citizens.
● September through November communicate weekly with candidates to identify needed resources and support. Present any ads or written communication to endorsed candidates for their input and edits prior to public release.
● Identify volunteers to assist in door to door or letter writing campaign activities, as requested by a candidate.
● Create Candidate specific Sample Ballots to be handed out during door to door visits and at polling locations.
● Provide volunteers to staff all polling locations on election day.
Authority to Retain Experts
The Committee will have the authority to retain, replace or dismiss advisors to assist in fulfilling its responsibilities. The Partnership will provide funding, as determined by the Committee and approved by EXCOMM, for payment of compensation to these advisors employed by the Committee.
Minutes of Meetings
- Posts not found